Clinical: Dyspepsia. Intermittent fever. Pneumonia.
Characteristics: Hale commends Cornus floridaCorn-f in obstinate intermittents where quinine has been abused and where the following group of symptoms is present: For days before chill sleepiness; sluggish flow of ideas; dull, heavy headache. Paroxysms attended with nausea; vomiting and sometimes watery or bilious diarrhoea. In the chill, cold, clammy skin; in the fever, violent headache, with throbbing, stupor, confusion of intellect and vomiting. He also commends it in old cases of dyspepsia where the chief symptom is acid pyrosis. Cornus floridaCorn-f, which has had a separate proving, has some very remarkable neuralgic pains in arms, chest, and trunk, and a sensation as if broken in two. It has been used successfully in a case of pneumonia on the indication of the stitches in the chest.
2. head: Constant dizziness. Severe headache and quick pulse and violent pains in bowels. Fulness and pains in head with gastric disturbance; constant tendency to sleep.
3. eyes: L. eye weak, like a cloud over it.
11. stomach: Drinks little and often; hunger soon after eating; desire for sour things, pickles, pastry, cakes, etc. Nausea, vomiting, and violent pains in bowels; with headache. Acid pyrosis; painful and slow digestion. Indigestion and heartburn.
12. abdomen: Violent pain in bowels with purging.
13. stool and anus: Ineffectual urging, followed by cutting in l. ribs and under scapula; later copious stool.
14. urinary organs: Difficult urination in morning in old men.
18. chest: Stitches in region of l. clavicle extending towards r. side, < by taking deep breath; constant tickling in chest compelling him to cough, with difficult expectoration; constant dizziness; chilliness, followed by heat with thirst and finally sweat; drinks little and often; hunger soon after eating (inflammation of the lungs). Stitch in r. chest as from a knife thrust, with vertigo. Ineffectual urging to stool, followed by cutting pains in ribs, l. side, with pain under l. scapula as if a piece of flesh were being forcibly twisted out; later, copious stool.
19. heart: Increased strength and frequency of pulse with fever heat; pulse quick and hard. Pain beginning in elbow, settled about heart causing feeling of pressure and palpitation.
20. neck and back: Sensation like a jerk or shock in nape of neck. Pains at waist as if she would break in two; pains run up whole l. side of trunk or body like lightning; seems as if they would give her a twist while running up; pains in elbows and wrist.
21. limbs: Cramps in popliteal spaces with tension in flexor muscles, also in l. arm. Hands and feet swollen.
22. upper limbs: Neuralgic sharp pains begin in r. elbow, extending to hand and shoulder, passing down r. and then up l.; pain settled about heart causing feelings of pressure and palpitation; could not raise arm because of pain and lameness; hands and feet swollen, pains of a darting, needle-like kind, very severe; difficulty in passing water. Pains in wrist. Numbness and stitches in wrists. Blueness of fingers.
26. sleep: Sleepy, but couldn't sleep all night.
27. fever: Chill with cold, clammy skin, followed by heat with thirst, and finally sweat. Chill followed by heat with thirst, drinks often, but little at a time, then sweat; constant giddiness; hungry soon after eating; desire for sour things, later for sweets. First moderate heat, then light perspiration, ending with a crawling sort of chill, beginning in back and going upward. Increase of body temperature; hot sweat, fulness in head. Heat: with violent headache; thirst hot, but moist skin; stupor. Sweat rolls down from her; chilly, but warm cramps from sides of waist running toward pubes; Sleepy but couldn't sleep all night; had to get up and look out of window, she was so sleepless; could not sleep in daytime, sweating all the time.